Why do we wear it?
From the animal teeth, bones and shells adorned by our ancestors to the regal jewels that represent our modern monarchy, throughout the ages, we’ve had a deep fascination with jewels and their influence within society. Why do we choose to decorate ourselves? The answer appears to be a little more complex than you think! In earlier times, jewellery was associated with social status – your wealth and standing within society could be judged on the rarity of the accessories you own. This is represented in the ‘esteem’ level of Maslow’s hierarchy of needs.
Today’s world is shifting rapidly towards the digital age, where social media plays an integral role in our lives. The pressure to be unique and engaging (particularly amongst millennials) online has never been so high. The use of channels such as Facebook and Instagram have become a platform for promoting originality. There’s little surprise that jewellery and fashion are an integral part of the internet culture. People showcase their engagement rings and accessories as way of demonstrating their uniqueness, thus providing them with a feeling of ‘belongingness’ and success within society.
Now that we've talked about the origins and influence of these captivating accessories, it’s time to take a look at how it can be incorporated into your own modern-day look.
Whats trending this year?
Shoulder-skimming earrings, swinging pendants and symbolic vibes. We give you the lowdown on the latest trends to take up in 2019:
- Danglers with drama: The ear party is well and truly on this season. Drop earrings and danglers are totally on-trend and complete the cocktail dress with ease. If you are looking for something more casual, these gorgeous pieces even elevate low-key looks, without looking out of place.
- Mixing & matching looks as stylish as ever: Not playing by the rules has gripped the catwalk this year. Explore different fusions of materials. How about combining a pair of danglers with subtle studs? We’ll leave the imagination up to you!
- Mystical symbols: Accessories have seen an influx of illuminati-esque designs. Big label designers have jumped on the trend of using talismanic symbols, such as the hand of Fatima and the tree of life. If you prefer a little mystique in your appearance, then this latest trend is just for you!
- Extraordinary ear cuffs: Transforming from an unusual accessory to a timeless classic literally overnight, ear cuffs have been simply inspiring this year. The perfect accessory to spice up an evening look, they guarantee you’ll get noticed amongst the crowds.
- Extra-long necklaces are back: We all know the 20’s style is making a roaring comeback this year and drop pendants with long necklaces are a perfect example of this. What’s great about these fabulous pieces is that they are so versatile, they work with any look. Embrace the tummy-grazing style by pairing a necklace with a casual jumper, or if you want to go all out, pair it with a fine low-cut dress for added allure.
What pieces to wear with your outfit
Okay, you know the latest jewellery trends but now it’s time to incorporate them into your everyday look. Below you’ll find some handy tips on the how to accessorize your outfit, without overdoing it:
- Make sure your bijoux matches the occasion: Style rules for statement pieces are more relaxed than ever before – even at work. But this doesn’t mean you can go overboard with the bling. Match your accessories with your outfit and the occasion. If you’re at the office, it won’t be so practical to wear danglers or oversize rings when you’re spending a lot of time behind the keyboard. If you’re well into happy hour, then wearing something more eye-catching is totally fine. Select something bold to catch people’s attention.
- Choose a centrepiece: The easiest way to start accessorising your look is to build your bijoux around one statement piece. This could be a statement necklace, ring or bracelet. This should be the primary focus of your outfit, and then the rest of the pieces should mould around it. For example, if you choose to go for a show-stopping necklace, add some simplistic (gold or silver) rings and earrings into the mix.
- Complement your skin tone: Not only should your accessories match your outfit, they should also enhance you! There is a large pallet of colours to choose from – silver and gold being, of course, the most common. Silver is the metal fave for many of us because of its simplicity, but if you have matte skin or dark hair, opt for a beautifully rich gold piece. Be sure to pay special attention to your skin tone, hair and eye colour as they are just as important.
- Accessorise to fit your body shape: As you’ll discover, the same piece will have a different impact on your look, depending on your body type. If you have a smaller frame, opt for something a little slimmer and refined. Be aware that these parts may not stand out as much on larger, taller frames. On the other hand, bold thick statement pieces may look a little too dominant on a smaller frame, but work wonders on a larger, taller frame. One fail-safe way to make sure the accessory fits right, is to try it on in the store before buying.
If all else fails, diamonds really are a girl’s best friend!
A true statement piece – diamonds have been a staple since as long as we can remember! And there's good reason why: they go with just about anything! The cool fact about materials such as white diamonds, is that they act as a prism under light. This means that it reflects all the colours that make up its composition and believe us – the results are just simply incredible! If you are looking for something more on-budget, cubic zirconia is a worthy alternative!
Where to shop cheap women’s jewellery online
You got the knowledge, now you need to turn your attention to the shopping! At Lesara, we have everything you need to add a little oomph to your look. From inspiring earrings to jaw-dropping necklaces and rings, shop the latest jewellery online at the click of a button. Preparing for the summer already? Shop beguiling anklets and body chains and let your beach-ready look shine bright!